FITS format support

Hello,

I do mostly astrophotography, and have found DenoiseAI to be a great companion for image processing. And I guess I’m not alone…
As most astrophoto software sticks to the FITS format, it would be great if these files could be directly opened in Topaz software (or at least DenoiseAI in my case).

If that is not a great enough challenge, implementing the XISF format would be even better, and heck why not, a PixInsight plugin/addon could be the real endgame :grin:

The main idea here is to preserve the extended metadata header that exists in these formats (and not in others), and that gets wiped when converting to formats that Topaz software can open at the moment. There are ways around this problem, but are cumbersome and time consuming at best.

Thanks in any case for a great noise fighting tool.

I would raise a specific support request at the main website as it is a niche format and I don’t think any of the pixel based editors support any of those formats. But I do believe that Hubble Telescope created a converter to convert those formats to TIF/TIFF.

I would raise a specific support request at the main website

How would I do that?

But I do believe that Hubble Telescope created a converter to convert those formats to TIF/TIFF.

Converting is not a problem as all of the programs that support opening FITS can save as TIF, BMP, PNG etc.
The cumbersome part is preserving the detailed metadata header. I copy/paste the pixels over, after denoising, and other such schemes.

For example:
https://diffractionlimited.com/help/maximdl/image/information_fits_view.png

Go to the support page on the main website and raise a support request …

Go to the support page on the main website and raise a support request

Done.
I did see it earlier, but could not find a suitable “suggestions” (or similar) category so was not sure it was the right place and ended up posting here first.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like