Feedback on Sharpen AI

You will need to open an image first, then set to No. The No will be remembered next time you open sharpen.

Note that you will need to Update Preview each and every time you open an image, move to different parts of the image in the navigator and change any of the parameters.

1 Like

Sharpen AI is not an Adjustment, it will appear under the Plug-ins menu in Studio.

Note that if you are using Photoshop it is better if you use the Sharpen AI plugin directly rather than sending the image to Studio and then invoking the Sharpen AI plugin from Studio.

OK, I opened an image then after it sharpened I changed update preview to NO. I then closed Sharpen AI and relaunched. Update Preview is now set to NO but when I click focus nothing happens.

You need to open an image to use any of the sliders.

That would explain it then, it’s just that any of the products with “AI” in the name has always come up in the “Adjustments” panel so I foolishly assumed that “AL Sharpen” would do the same. Thank you!

1 Like

OK, I figured it out. Thanks.

Just bought Sharpen AI but whenever I try to use it the Topaz Studio application crashes.

Oddly the Topaz Studio window in Photoshop CC stays around.

So basically as it stands the product is unusable since I always use RAW files which the stand alone can’t handle.

I’ve got a iMac Retina 5K 2017 with a Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB graphics card. I’m running 10.12.6

Photoshop CC 20.0.3 release

the stand alone app will open a file and not crash.

In my case, there is nothing else in the dropdown file list. However, I can type *.dng and pull up all my raw files (Pentax PEF converted to DNG when loaded into Lightroom). Windows 10

Not for me,to slow.i used to have Piccure+,which i found was brilliant,but for some reason…last year it started asking me for a product key,no idea where it is,i’ve tried to email them and got no answer…strange!

Fantastic!!! I’ll definitely buy this program. However, after the first very successful tryout with a 72 megapixel 16 bit image (slow, but it did it) I couldn’t get it to work again, either as a stand alone on from Photoshop. Then I remembered that I’ve had problems with other new Topaz programs that would only work if run as Administrator, although after the next update this glitch would disappear. Sure enough, AI Sharpen is just the same. The installer also has to be run as admin, and the program, which starts automatically after installation, will work once only. Then only if run as admin.

I saw another post in this thread which may be someone having the same problem - sure I can’t be the only one.

To everybody on here…make sure your Paging File is adequate. This file is an area on your hard drive set aside by your operating system as a form of ‘virtual memory’. Ideally, this Paging File should be equal to the size of your real, actual memory (which is often 16Gb - it varies from machine to machine.)

My old 16Gb memory (i7) machine would not function with Lightroom, Photoshop and Topaz Studio open at the same time; so when I passed a photo from LR to PS, I always closed LR before opening Studio.

Long story short - I got a new system with 64Gb memory :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is what I achieve with SharpenAI. First SOOC, second with SharpenAI Stabilize 100,50,00. Magic happens. Never get such result with other SW. No Problem with my System. i7 4702MQ 16 GB Ram NVIDIA GForce GT 750M 4GB Win10 Pro. Peview <10s, Save < 2min. For me it`s gorgeous.Thank you Topaz.

3 Likes

Daniella, in my case (Pentax cameras) when I open a file, I type *.dng or *.pef and can open all my raw files

I can open my Sony NEF files, process the preview window, but can not save the output. Selecting to save as jpg or something else, no difference.

I just downloaded the trial version. Sharpen AI immediately slowed my iMac to a crawl. Plus, for the asking price, there isn’t much to it. When I chose an image to sharpen, it took at least 2-3 minutes for each function. NO THANKS! I deleted the trial version immediately.

You CANNOT process RAW images in Sharpen AI without first opening them in a host and using Sharpen AI as a plugin. Sharpen AI will not save or process the image.

I figured that out too. Would have been nice to get a little message spelling that out when one can clearly attempt it.

May I ask what settings you used ? I tried to replicate your results, but can’t get close. Could be because the posted input file is perhaps more compressed than what you used.

While the results are spectacular, the typical net-like pattern in the grass and the background foliage show where the AI fails, for now.

Unless I spend thousands of dollars on new laptop and new desktop, this program is not going to work for me, and I am guessing many other users. Interesting results, but I could almost brew a cup of coffee while waiting . I have one year old HP Spectre, 16gig of RAM, i7-7500U CPU, Nvidia GEForce940MX.

I have a 3 year old HP Pavilion with 16GB RAM, i7-7700HQ, Nvidia GTX1050/4GB and it runs really fast. Make sure that if you have more than 1 GPU, e.g. mine also has a Intel HD630, you allocate the 940MX to Sharpen AI and also make sure the drivers are updated from the NVIDIA website.

Instructions on how to allocate the correct GPU are here:

https://support.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/213614538-Using-Switchable-Graphics-with-Topaz-Labs