Feb 2023: more pixels, more precision

Since our January update, we’ve shipped three significant roadmap items in four releases: new upscaling models, a crop tool, and improved subject detection. You can find the release notes and latest download links here.

Finer upscaling detail and more natural results

Topaz Photo AI v1.2 adds greatly improved Enhance Resolution models with a new architecture, 3x larger model size, and better training data. This new approach is a major step forward and significantly outperforms every other upscaling method currently available.

There are two variants, Standard and High Fidelity.

The “Standard” upscaling model

The Standard model excels at generating very natural textures and fine detail, in contrast to more “blocky” results from older methods. Use this model for small images, tight crops, compressed/noisy inputs, or other situations where you’d like to enhance image detail. (In v1.2, the Standard model replaces the old Natural model.)

The “High Fidelity” upscaling model

High Fidelity attempts to “first, do no harm”: it’s trained to minimize artifacts and create more natural upscales. Use this for already high-quality or high-resolution images with little noise that do not need much detail generated. You can also try this option if you’re getting too many image artifacts with Standard.

We’re pretty excited about the performance of these models. We’ve already been tweaking our existing upscaling algorithms in TPAI and Gigapixel for the past few years, but this new approach is truly a step above. We look forward to hearing about the results on your own images.

New crop tool

Topaz Photo AI v1.1.7 added a new Crop tool in public beta. You can access it in the Upscale section:

t1ydm2xFQ5-loop
Image © Andrew Macdonald

Instead of making a round trip to an external program, this allows you to more conveniently upscale your desired crop with Enhance Resolution in one go. We’ll also add the ability to straighten / rotate your image soon.

More precise subject detection

Topaz Photo AI v1.1.8 improved the precision of the Default subject selection model, which will now perform better especially for wildlife and portrait photos:

The improved masking performance will reduce the percentage of images where you need to manually refine the subject. We’ll continue improving automatic subject selection in the future, so please send us images of failure cases.

Many more improvements

We’ve also improved quality of life, performance, and stability in the last few releases. For a full list of all changes since last month, read the individual release threads for the last four updates here:

Thanks, and we’re really excited to continue improving the product every week with your feedback! Visit our latest roadmap update to see what’s coming next:

14 Likes

Great work Guys… keep it on!

1 Like

I’m very impressed with the sharpening improvements - not just “sharper” but BETTER, the fidelity is much less AI-looking, more natural.

I’ve tried Luminar, DxO, On1 (to supplement Capture One) and while all have their merits, the Topaz software if the first I’ve really been happy with.

Great work! And I’m very much looking forward to the Apple Photos extension!

4 Likes

Thanks for the updates. Keep up the good work. Speaking of good work, I need to point out that the number one thing I care about having fixed, BY A MILE, is the ability to quickly and accurately mask/select subject. The existing AI-based selection/subtraction tool is tedious and pretty much useless for me. Just give me a tool where I can quickly paint on my selection without having the brush decide to highlight all kinds of stuff I don’t want highlighted.

4 Likes

I certainly like what I get from Photo AI. I am also glad you have posted a roadmap of what’s planned. Thank you.

2 Likes

I recently returned to my favorite hobby, side work of photography since stepping away in late 2019 because of the crazy uphill ride I’m still on as we are finally coming down from that roller coaster in my field of work that has me still today working a little overtime, nothing crazy as it was from 2020 until almost mid 2022. In my absence, I had not before and during heard of you all until my return to photography in late 2022 when I finally had time, me time!! Diving in, I heard your brand mentioned and I looked you up! I was impressed and trialed your AI and LOVED IT! Prior I was already an On1, Skylum when they were first Macphun and DxO user and now, I fall on yours almost 90% of the time! I love this update because I did find that it resulted a bit harsh on my portraits, so then I would back out and use your DeNoise to get that better ‘Natural’ result! I have yet to try this updated version but I can see it in your shared images. Thank you for continuing to improve! I love it! - Lori

Increased capabilities in the crop tool is gratefully received. Rotating is the next big step but a real winner would be the ability to draw a line along an edge e.g. the horizon (horizontal) or the corner of a building (vertical) and the crop orientate on that line - like Lightroom can. That would be massive. Thanks for your efforts.

1 Like

Actually from what you sent I like the old method more the new one seems not sharper at all

That’s right. However, the new models have a more natural look with fewer artifacts.

This is an image from the old model.

This one is from the new one.

1 Like

That’s great!

But what if we want to make manual selections of portions of images in controlled areas? (Areas we can control & not an auto brush like AI)

Thx.

Cropping tool improvements are great. Upscaling is more natural and, therefore, more useful.

When will we see support for Nikon Z9 High Efficiency Raw files without first going to a tiff file in Lightroom?