Editing Z8 raw files from Lightroom (Plugin Extras): Image opens in Photo AI with different colors

The colors in the image that opens in Photo AI are significantly different from the ones shown in LR. It seems as if a color space was wrongly assigned. The dng that Photo AI returns to LR, however, has the correct colors.

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Use Plugin Extras to export file to Photo AI
  2. Observe the colors in the image
  3. Apply the Photo AI edits to the image and save back to LR. The colors are back to normal.

Topaz Photo AI [v2.3.1] on Mac Studio running 14.2.1

How about you post screenshots and also say what profile you are using in LR.

Here are the screenshots you requested:

1 The original NEF as seen in LR,

2 The Topaz Photo AI screen showing the difference (as it opened in the program),

3 The dng returned to LR after processing.

My camera is set to capture raw files in Adobe RGB space . I believe LR uses its own version of ProPhoto RGB internally. It renders the colors as expected.

It is only when Topaz AI opens the image that I see the color shift.

Rafael

Just so you are aware your camera does NOT capture in a color space, the AdobeRGB you are talking about is what the camera uses to convert RAW (NEF) to JPEG. LR uses MelissaRGB.

Yes I know that. The designation "Adobe RGB” is just a metadata tag for the conversion, raw files do not have a color profile per se. And I also know that MelissaRGB is a variant of ProPhotoRGB used in LR. I wasn’t sure you knew that because you asked "what profile you are using in LR”.

Now, how about dealing with the bug?

That’s a bit rude, especially because I am a user. As a forum mod I ask for information that will speed up the developers work on finding a solution.

Also is your monitor calibrated. If not switch it to using the sRGB profile to see if that helps.

It might be one of our known color issues. You can try using the Photo > Edit in > Topaz Photo AI workflow which will preserve color and process a TIF instead of a RAW. I k now this may not be ideal. We appreciate your patience.

Thank you, Jeff. I hope you can sort it out soon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.