DNG from DeNoise not suitable to be opened in other apps

Since DeNoise AI can save your image as a DNG (IE raw) file, wouldn’t the better workflow be to load your initial raw file into DeNoise directly, save as DNG, then open in Lightroom, Camera Raw, etc?

I guess you get that waxy DNG buildup filling your hard drive. But perhaps a consideration for the occasional key images.

1 Like

I thought of that, but this is what I get out from the DNG produced by DeNoise AI. Not even close to what I should get (Click on image to see all 3 versions):

Ugh! Looks like the “Magenta Overlay Ghost” is still haunting us.

I tried a few images. I’m not getting the color shift, but I am seeing a kind of haziness and reduced contrast after processing directly from raw (Canon .CR2). I suppose LibRaw has to process and rasterize the raw file in order to open it in DeNoise. Then has to convert it back to a “raw” format (DNG).

Hard to imagine having DeNoise as the first step in my processing chain. I’d want to at least develop the raw file (even if I turn off noise reduction) before sending it to DeNoise.

Trying to match my original .CR2 to what I get from DeNoises DNG requires reduced exposure, reduced contrast and a slight boost in saturation.

I downloaded a trial version of DeNoise on Friday 29th May, used it and pleased with the results (although a tad slow, but I can live with that). Today 1st June I paid my money, the software transferred itself over to me OK. But then I get a message saying that a new update is available, is there anywhere else where I can find out what the update is without having to download another app just to read the message. As I have heard of people having issues with newer updates and not being able to go back to the previous version.

For those wanting to use DNG, try TIF instead.

Noteworthy, the purple color cast (on this particular image) does not show in preview, or thumbnail, only when the DeNoise AI DNG is opened in another RAW processor. The color cast does not show with other file formats. Notwithstanding, the color cast, the DeNoise AI output (from RAW ORF) is still much different than what Olympus Workshop default generates, hence using TIFF as input is indeed the next best option.

As the LensFun database is used for corrections check to see if your lends is supported there.

My lens. M.Zuiko 17/1.8 is listed, with a “yes” on all 3 parameters (dist., TCA, vign.), but I see no evidence of lens distortion (quite apparent) correction in DeNoise AI output.