Denoise: Remove Paper Texture

I restore photographs and would like a way to remove the paper texture from the old finger print resistant prints of the 1970’s. And of course it needs to bring max sharpness to the actual image.

1 Like

You might post a picture that shows the problem so some ideas can be tried. It may be difficult if the texture is course. If it shows mainly on the background you may be able to select the primary subject and past it on a new background.

Typically you can use an FFT based plug-in to remove this type of pattern, but it takes practice to get it right first time:

Right, I actually have that plugin, but was hoping Topaz would be up to the challenge to tackle the issue with their software.

It might be worth trying Denoise AI and seeing whether it works now? I seem to recall trying it in the past, and didn’t have any luck with fixed patterns like 1970’s prints. I tried an image recently, and it did a reasonable job of cleaning up the pattern in the one image I tried. May have been just luck, but it’s possible they’ve added a tweak to the code?

I’ll do that, thanks.