DeNoise AI v2 doesn't denoise unless I run it as administrator

The weird thing is that after the install, the TOPAZ icon does not shop up in the windows pull down list of programs…

Uninstall does not work either… In the sense that the uninstall in the TOPAZ folder dos nothing and if I use the windows uninstall, I need to do it as admin… No idea why

OK, I am DISSAPOINTED…
I paid 50+ buck for the DeNoiseAI. I must admit I reported problems to Topaz Labs and got a general answer. Now, with the change in the policy (after I paid under the previous rules) my disappointment soared… And the reasons are as follows

• I cannot get the software to run. I installed it on two different laptops with two different video cards (NVidia or Radeon). Both are graphic workstations so the issue of lack of power is redundant.
  • I got some hints as to how to make it run but they are useless (thank you for trying anyway). The key reason is that in order to prevent computers form being hijacked we do not allow run programs as Administrators (we can install them as such but not tun). DenoisAI is THE ONLY program hat makes problems with that. All the other programs (lightroom, photoshop, ImageJ etc) run with NO PROBLEM whatsoever.
  • The software is supposed to be 2.0 while it behave as 0.2 release version. C’mon guys… You CAN do better than that…
  • with changing of the policy I seriously consider asking my money back ( I still have bout 3 weeks to do that) since I have been sold a promise NOT a working software
  • in fact as a developer I would be ashamed to release SO POORLY prepared program. Seriously. DO I really need to jump some hoops before it works??? Can’t you make a decent install script?
  • the software DOES have a potential but you work very hard to make me (and many others I guess) to stop using it. We need RESULTS not promises
  • I am not a professional so I cannot throw my money around to see what works best for me. This is money that I want to feel is well spend and where do I stand now? TOPAZ? TELL ME?
  • you should have three lines of product. Basic, Advanced and Professional. For basic you give a a bundle of 2-3 modules for small price(user picks the modules- mix and match). For Advanced you give a few modules more (4-5k same rules) . Professional- you give the Full Monty. And you give two payment plans for each. A yearly update program and a Permanent update program. And you NEVER put it in cloud like Adobe.

Have you raised a support request at the main website?

It seems like an issue with permissions if you have no error messages or crashes.

Same problem with the DeNoise AI demo. Very surprised that Topaz Labs has not fixed this even 8 months later. I understand this can be worked around by fixing incorrect registry entries myself, or by installing the program outside of Program Files (which no one should ever have to do), but this is a commercial product and I would expect the developer to care more.

1 Like

it is very difficult to understand what the issue really is as I have never had this problem on Win 10, it installs and runs correctly. You may need to see what you have running at the time you install as there are many third party apps that cause issues with many apps such as Fresco Logic, My Endpoint, ASUS Sonic, RIVA Turner, Fast Picture Viewer, Duet Display, Free Anti-Virus apps etc., etc.

Note also that all Windows applications need to be installed with Admin installation rights, not just Topaz apps.

So all I can advise is install as Admin and make sure any 3rd party apps are turned off and turn off your security anti-virus app whilst installing.

I have never seen incorrect registry entries and never had to install out of Program Files folder. Try rebooting your PC.

Checked what’s going on with DenoiseAI, and, yes, it’s still writing its DataPath and InstallPath registry entries to the administrator’s local user key, which is not accessible to any other users.

The DataPath key is set to C:\ProgramData\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz DeNoise AI. DenoiseAI stores its TensorFlow models in the tgrc subfolder of it. The administrator can access this subfolder correctly, however for all other users, DenoiseAI can’t find the DataPath key and the path becomes just \tgrc, which translates to C:\tgrc, which is not where the models are and to which it has no access.

That’s almost eight months since a major error has been reported, explained, and still not fixed.

Also worth mentioning that DenoiseAI keeps trying to write its logs to its (read-only) Program Files folder.

ProgramData should not be read only to Authenticated Users and the tgrc folder should be created in that directory along with the logs.

Please raise a support request at the main website and they will be able to advise.

So I just downloaded the trial version of DeNoise AI. I installed using admin rights logged in with my normal user account. The first clue that something was wrong was not shortcuts showed up on my desktop or start menu. I launched the app directly after install and ran a batch job and it worked great. The next time I opened the app…nada. Thankfully I found this thread. I logged into my device as the administrator and sure enough, the shortcuts were there and when I ran the app it ran without issue.

I wasn’t about to start trying to copy directories to hopefully the right place and and take a chance blowing up my registry with edits, so I gave my normal user account admin permissions, logged back in as the normal user, and then removed the admin permissions. I can now use the app as a normal user with logging in or needing admin rights.

You should raise a support request at the main website where they will take a look at your PC and correct what is causing the problem.

I’ve opened a support ticket, but the issue isn’t with my device it’s with Topaz’s programming. As a cybersecurity professional I have to question why when an application is installed it does not install under the proper user and installs instead to the administrative user on the device. That’s problematic, and based upon this thread, it seems Topaz hasn’t taken it seriously for the last eight months.

No way in hell I’m letting them remote into my device to troubleshoot.

If you want help go there if not don’t bother, it installs fine for me so I have no issues as many others don’t, but there is a issue with about 5 PCs in this thread.

I guess the question would be then, are you running the app under an account with admin rights? Where the app gets installed is not a PC issue, but an install script issue.

The title of this thread states that it won’t run unless using admin rights, but that is not the case that I’m experiencing. Removing the admin rights from my day-to-day account still allows it to run.

It will run for me fine as a regular user, but by design a normal user account requires admin rights to install an application. Being logged in as a normal user without admin rights, but using an admin account to install the app, installs the app to the admin account profile, not the users profile. That is an issue.

I tried installing it on D: with only the " User " rights… works standalone, but Photoshop 6 can not find it as an extension.