DeNoise AI Results Speak for Themselves

DNG (CR3) from a Canon EOS-M50 1/125sec, f/6.3 ISO12,800. The original is the top and the result is the bottom:

4 Likes

Nice recovery …

1 Like

Even though I can understand some confusion with the new topaz products since they all have a noise reduction function, I just tested the new Denoise Ai on a ISO 6400 noise image. Taken with my Sony SLT A55 camera. I have a series of these images I use for noise reduction testing. Shown are crops at 100%
Original image:

New Denoise Ai at 1.00 (max): Very good job.

My Perfect Denoise Studio preset using AI clear:

Applying Sharpen AI to Perfect Denoise saved file:

I would say the new Denoise AI and my preset are close to equal. Sharpening could be added to either one as needed.

Just as a comparison, here is the same photo using Affinity Photo denoise which is far inferior.

3 Likes

I ran a test with a ISO12800 image and my AI Clear preset was superior to the Denoise AI but this was an extreme case and some cameras may have lower noise at that ISO. If I had to buy only one i would definitely get AI Clear. It is very useful as an adjustment in Topaz Studio and can be coupled with other adjustments as a preset. It equals and in some cases out performs Denoise AI and it sharpens while removing some fringing. I got the free upgrade so I have both but will most likely use AI clear most of the time.

Also using one of the downloadable noisy pictures on the Topaz site, I tested it with Sharpen AI. This is a jpg picture. I found that using the Focus option with max remove noise, gave a very good result in SAI while using the Sharpen option did not.
Sharpen:

Focus:

1 Like

Too bad it doesnt work. Nobody else can get results like these.

I’m afraid you need to be more descriptive than that as there don’t seem to be any other posts to back you up. If you explain the problem you are having we can see if we can help you.

Just raise a thread in Technical Support with the actual problem.

I’m curious as to whether the ‘After’ images posted here have had any further processing, specifically; Exposure, Highlight, Shadows adjustments? I’ve processed three ‘Bracketed’ Cr2 files up until now. All (without any further processing of the RAW files) seem to be around 2 Stops brighter after outputting to ‘Dng’ files.

You can see that the first entry in this thread here, by me, is a input DNG and is not in any app other than DeNoise AI. The reason I used DNG as the input is because CR3 from Canon is not yet supported so I converted using the Adobe DNG Converter.

For the others I can’t say as one of the posts has put in Sharpen AI as well.

My images were all Jpg including the one downloaded from the Topaz site and had only minor adjustment due to the effect of my preset. In another post I stated that saving as a DNG (from Jpeg to RAW) produced various results that only came out good when Affinity Photo was used to open the file. When I opened the DNG file in Corel Paintshop Pro it was about 2 stops brighter.

i suggest that you download the file and try it. This was just to show that the NR in Sharpen AI may vary depending on the type of sharpening selected. If the image is not noisy it could be irrelevant.

Is the original image just the uploaded jpg on the web page? Or is the original a raw file? I ask out of curiosity because it might be interesting to run the original through Dxo’s PhotoLab Prime Noise Reduction to see how it compares with DeNoise AI.

As for myself, I saw almost the same NR functionality using the DeNoise 6 plugin and Sharpen AI on my raw images.

If it is the one with the book, I uploaded a crop section of my original image taken with my Sony Camera. I performed the test using a jpeg image, not RAW. Jpeg works well for noise tests and you can get a whole series of images (which I also use) made with a Canon camera here: Canon 80D Review - High ISO NR

Use the RAW (no NR) versions (right side of the three versions) and run them with different NR programs. Sharpen AI is not primarily for noise reduction even though it does some. The problem with Denoise 6 is you have to do a lot of adjustment where AI is mostly automatic.