Denoise AI creating "streaky" artifacts

Does anyone see small artifacts added to their images after processing them with Denoise AI? Below is an example. I’ve provided links below to screenshots of the original image (top) and the processed image (bottom). Notice the absence and presence of pixelated streaks respectively, particularly the one at the center of the image.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ENOkpBLxmG4PrfXqs4ZkmyzJO4RifRMO/view?usp=sharing

These streak artifacts are hardly noticeable unless you’re viewing the image at 2:1 or higher zoom, but they still bug me nonetheless. For me, they occur no matter how little noise is reduced or how much sharpening is applied to the image. And they don’t appear in Denoise AI’s previews, they’re only visible in other applications like Lightroom and Photoshop. They don’t occur with AI Clear, but I don’t find that this option reduces noise as effectively. I hope there’s a work-around for this, but so far I haven’t found one. Any help is appreciated.

I believe they are aware of it and are looking at improving the control of artifacts. In the meantime you can change preferences to use OpenVINO/CPU rather than GPU.

That improves the appearance but not by much. I suppose I’ll just wait for more updates to the software. Thanks for your suggestion.

1 Like

Good news, I found a fix! Enabling low light mode after adjusting noise reduction softens the artifacts enough to look more or less natural, at least in my opinion. I’ve only tried it out on a few images so far, but I’m getting consistent results whether I’m using OpenVINO/CPU or GPU to process them. It would probably be easier to remove or further soften them in Photoshop now too if I feel the need. That being said, it would still be nice if these artifacts didn’t show up in the first place, so hopefully there will be an update that addresses them. But for now, I think this will do. In the comparison below, the left image is processed and the right is the original.

Also, a correction to my first post. After closer examination, the artifacts are visible in Denoise AI’s previews, they’re just not as noticeable as in Lightroom and Photoshop.

1 Like