DeNoise AI: compressed diagram and huge DNG size

Let’s compare result of processing RAW file in DeNoise AI. Source is Nikon D800 NEF opened along with result DNG in CameraRAW.

And result:

The same images on 100% crop:
Source:

Result:

In result image there are no noise at all, but it is dule, lose contrast.
Also resulting image have unexpected big size - 205 MB. Source file size is 46,79 MB. If noise lower size must be lesser.
2019-04-26_11-22-06

And also Adobe Bridge CC 2019 can not dispay full screen preview.
Is it possble make better color processing and file size compression in DeNoise AI resulting files?

I think the idea is to flatten the colour and contrast as much as possible to isolate the noise. You can easily bring back saturation, and contrast afterwards. It’s like grading a f-log video file. As long as data isn’t lost I don’t really care what the file looks like when it comes out. I was concerned at first like you are but realized I could bring back contrast, clarity, and colour with just a couple of clicks.

Also the size of DNG seems to be because they are wrapping using the dng file type as a wrapper for a tiff. I’d rather have an uncompressed tiff than a compressed one for future editing.

I’ve asked for full dng file (i think that means a full layer for each of the three colours) so that it’s like editing a raw afterwards which will be slightly bigger. If you want a smaller file just export to .tiff and pick compression or 8-bit.

1 Like