DeNoise AI causing color shifts

With future updates, please do not get rid of AI Clear. Denoise AI creates major color shifts for me. AI Clear works great!

5 Likes

As a hobby (& very much part-time at that) Photographer, would you be able to explain for me, briefly & simply, what you mean by “Color Shifts”? I downloaded DeNoise AI about 24 hours ago & have since processed in it, 3 Bracketed Photos (-2, 0, +2) of a scene just as the sun set. Each file output to Dng looks around 2 Stops brighter & the colors, more richer (for want of a better word/phrase), what I would expect after merging to HDR (which is what I plan to do with them).

The top image is the original RAW (NEF) file. The bottom image which is all washed out is the dng file after applying Denoise AI. This kind of color shift applies to anything run through Denoise AI.

This last file is the NEF file with AI Clear applied. This is infinitely better than Denoise AI. That’s why I don’t want to lose it.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: JPEG to RAW AI - Large shift

I think have found bug in Topaz denoise ai and jpeg to raw ai. Maybe just on my computer, but don’t believe it, because windows 10 is freshly installed and updated, as well as the latest nvidia
drivers. The problem causes the cache or something else when the program is closed. So, only for the first run after installation software works perfectly. Again run denoise ai and jpeg 2 raw ai, there are artifacts. finally managed to use the vmware thinapp, with the option of remove sandbox on exit, create a portable version of these programs. and everything works perfectly every time. the version of the Windows is 1909 (18363.720), the NV drivers are 442.77 beta. CPU -Ryzen 1700, graphics Nvidia GTX 1070…maybe incompatibility or somewhat but for now I solved problem…Wait for developers to solve this potentialy bug and use software in official way…

1 Like

You need to raise a ticket at the main website as this is a user to user forum.

What color depth is the nef file?
Raw Topaz is ProPhoto and 16Bit.
Are you Saving as Tif?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Topaz Denoise Black Screen

A post was merged into an existing topic: Topaz Denoise Black Screen

I’m experiencing similar issues. I shoot in 14-bit RAW. I used the trial mode to try denoising a set of three brackets, and while the denoising works well the images are also altered in their brightness and saturation. Are you really saying that this software requires ProPhoto 16-bit images in order to work correctly? :open_mouth:

It needs To be Written in TIF

1 Like

Thanks. So is the preferred workflow to process RAWs to 16-bit TIFF and then run them through DeNoise? I did try this but the denoising effect was not as good as when I treated the same shot in the original NEF.

Seriously, please, what is the best workflow? :cry:

At the moment I use ACR to process my RAWs to 16-bit TIFF, adjusting settings and correcting CA. If I shot brackets I then use Photomatix Pro to blend those to pseudo-HDR. What I really want is a way to fix noise where I’ve needed to use high ISOs, as effectively as possible but without altering the tones or hues in the shots. If I have to work in the ProPhoto color space for Topaz DeNoise to work correctly I’m pretty sure the software is too restrictive for my needs. I hope someone can tell me I’m wrong!

I am still dealing with issues regarding Nikon NEF (Raw) file color shifts (Equipment D850). If I use any of the Topaz products one time with a NEF file, it will process and look fine. (I edit in ON1) HOWEVER, if I use a second Topaz product on a previously processed Topaz file, it is guaranteed to produce a magenta shifted un-useable output.

There is a very poor “workaround” by a moderator stating converting NEF to TIFF before processing (indicating to me this is a Topaz/Nikon pallet incompatibility issue). I don’t want the “converted” colors of a different file format, I want the colors the camera captured. This conversion highly limits further processing and yes, printing.

Printing:
Soft proofing Equipment: Canon P1000 with Qimage ultimate photo printing software.

I stated above if a NEF is processed one time thru a Topaz product (ie Sharpen, DeNoise… use whatever) it will display properly UNTIL your workflow process readies it for printing.

Soft-proofing:
Even on a single NEF file processed in a Topaz product, Qimage displays the identical (and un-useable) color shift.

All this being said, I am a fan of Topaz products – but this is a completely unacceptable issue being kicked down the road yet to be resolved. Converting this size of file (forget about everything else, just think of the storage issue alone holding and tracking duplicate files) and the time waiting for the file to convert is waste introduced in a workflow; and that in of itself is professionally unacceptable as wasted time is wasted money (and the only way to reduce the waste is to identify and remove the product/tools causing the issue)

Most may not process and print their own product, but I do.
I also re-visit images from the past, and because of life-learning curves and better products (Topaz included) I will re-process images and if worthy, process as prints.

Here’s the deal, even the best paper, inks and print processing output don’t hold a candle to the resolution and detail of the original camera captured color pallet – so in dealing with printing gamut limitations, file conversion is a hack and unacceptable.
I am still holding out hope that I will be able to continue to include in my workflow the Topaz Labs products that aid in tweaking that last pixel reducing gamut to produce the highest quality image I and my equipment are capable of.
My sincere suggestion is for Topaz Labs, now collecting an annual fee for products, seamlessly integrate ALL top image capturing manufacturers and their native formats in a top tier functional product lineup. I will buy it.

As mentioned to you previously DeNoise AI does not create a RAW file as output, as no other application does because RAW files contain sensor data specific to your camera.

Every RAW processing application will produce a pixel based output from a RAW image. In DeNoise AI’s case they are limited to DNG, TIF, JPG or PNG.