DeNoise AI 2.2.12

Sorry, I should have been more precise regarding the RAW file corruption. Yes, I was talking about DNG files created by Lightroom mobile. After saving in Denoise the original DNG file is overwritten with a much larger file. This file can’t be opened for example in DxO PhotoLab 3, Pixelmator, Preview. In FastRawViewer the file can be opened but has wrong colors applied. PhotoShop and GraphicConverter 11 open this file without a problem.
The standard behavior in macOS for Finder’s “Open With” menu item is to open the selected file as if it was opened within the selected application. The only application I know that works differently is Denoise (and probably other Topaz applications). This different behavior easily leads to overwritten original files.
Real Finder plugins are not located within Finder’s “Open With” menu, but on the main level of the context menu.
I’ve attached this screenshot of my Finder’s context menu. Marked red is the plugin section with Dropbox and Synology’s PhotoStation plugins installed.
Due to upload problems I’ve uploaded dng files and a screenshot to Finder’s Plugin area here: https://www.magentacloud.de/share/o090.kf942

As an example DxO PhotoLab 3 opens files via “Open With” and integrates into Lightroom. But I have to admit that I haven’t analyzed how how exactly they realized this integration.

So the expected behavior is that “Open With” should exactly work like choosing Open within Denoise or Dragging and Dropping a file onto it i. e. do not try to overwrite the file and offer a Save dialogue. Only if Denoise is used as Plugin in an Application like Lightroom use the plugin mode and replace the file.

When you try the button that adam metioned, it do the work as you said, just not that efficient as a shortcut.

I’ll try to set some time aside to take a closer look at this problem. I’m aware of how to fix it on Windows, but I am not familiar with how to accomplish this on Mac. As a temporary measure 2.2.4 visually changes the save button to be Apply and Cancel when opened in external editor mode, so hopefully it should be more clear that you’re not in the right state.

I disabled eGPU within Mac OS and it seems to be working now. Rolling back to 2.2.2 did not help, nor did disabling eGPU in DeNoise and Lightroom.

This setup (eGPU) worked fine on my 2017 MacBook Pro, with Lightroom and DeNoise. Moving to my new 2020 Mac mini last week appears to be what caused the problem.

Currently running Catalina 10.15.6

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

New members usually must make ten text posts before they are allowed to post an image. I downloaded your original image and it doesn’t seem to have any noise but does have some Jpeg artifacts. I ran it through Gigapixel AI with a 1.00 scale (no upscaling) and then it looks pretty good. Gigapixel will remove artifacts in many cases. I posted a 200% crop below, it does show pixels.

1 Like

Hi,

I would be very happy if you could post the time that AI Denoise need to denoise an image. (Uncluding name of GPU & CPU and pixel dimensions)

In the linked thread.

https://community.topazlabs.com/t/benchmark-denoise-ai/15772/2

Thx

@adam.mains
I convert my raw files (Panasonic RW2) to DNG, but I also keep an archive of the originals just in case. I just went to browse them and initially they all showed up as Denoise AI icons - only briefly though, as they quickly changed to the expected thumbnail view. Double-clicking on one did indeed open Denoise AI, in plug-in mode. It’s no biggie to fix, but I seem to remember another post about this fairly recently which might indicate something strange is going on.

Maybe you should provide the image so that all people you ask are on the same footing and give you a fair comparison :slightly_smiling_face:

today I loaded the newest version. All things working fine. BUT: ist the worst sharpening effect I´ve ever get since DeNoiseAI. Some areas a lot of sharpening, some no sharpening. Sharpening looks like much to much structure. I use it a lot for Squirrels taken with Lumix G9 and Leica 200mm f2.8. I´m very unlucky with the bad results. :face_with_head_bandage:
I don´t use all these features like selectively mask/sharpen and the batch things. With every update, the mainly things are getting worst. Too bad

1 Like

Might as well note that the UI corruption is occurring in Sharpen as well…

Will learn more as time goes by, but it looks like the only way to get these DeNoise and Sharpen to work for me is to disable eGPU at Mac OS level.

:frowning_face:

You’re right.

But i want it less synthetic with “natural” variations.

1 Like

Maybe, your hard drive has somethng wrong, you could try deleting the source file or target file manually, and see if it get fixed.

I feel this is normal for AI, just change the parameters when this happen. However the developing team is tring to improve it.

1 Like

I believe this is caused by the gamma with the color space. It looks like that the Topaz save DNG with a liner gamma which is different from the original image.

I’m wondering if this is a Mac Mini issue, since I believe every case I’ve seen of this is a combination Mac Mini + eGPU. Certainly a weird coincidence at the very least. Unfortunately I cannot fix this until I get the hardware for it, or if other fixes happen to fix it as well.

I’m wondering that as well. Possible that a Catalina update will fix it, but who knows?

Thanks.

Just upgraded to 2.2.4 … and nothing works anymore:

• as standalone if I open a Tif it doesnt show/do anything when moving the sliders
  • same as plug in in LR Classic output file appears unalterd vs raw file

PLS ADVICE WHATB TO DO !!

You might need to provide s little information about your computing environment. For example OS, RAM, GPU & vRAM.

Since I upgraded to 2.2.4 I also encounter some issues - on both systems.
My computers:
Mobile
15" HP-CS2105NG
i5 16GB RAM
Nvidia GPU 3GB

Desktop
i5 32GB RAM
Nvidia GPU 4GB

Both on WIN10 Build 1909

I am using DenoiseAI as a plug-in in Lightroom Classic V9.3. Files in LR are 99% RAW exported to DenoiseAI as JPG.

Metadat conflict
With both PC the Metadata from the original LR file seems to be influenced by DenoiseAI from time to time. When getting back to LR, there is the little hint of LR that there is a Metadata conflict.
The star rating from the original is continiously lost - which was not the case with the former version.

Black Screen
Also from time to time after the export from LR, the screen in DenoiseAI remains black and nothing happens. When closinng down DenoiseAI manually and re-export the file again, in most cases it works and the file appears within DenoiseAI.

So a few inconsistencies which do not pop-up all the time -except the star raring which is continiously missing.

My system is :slight_smile:AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8 Core 3.9GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, Mainboard MSI X470 Gaming Pro, Grafik Asus Strix GTX 1070 8GB, SSD 512 GB, Win 10 Pro, Lightroom Classic-Version latest Version Lizenz: Creative Cloud
Monitor DELL U3818DW 3840+1600 via Displayport

Befor the Update things worked really fine