DeNoise 3.3

Sorry, just need to confirm what I’m reading. The guidance I have read when setting up an external editor is to not enable ‘store presets with this catalog’. Are you suggesting that we should enable this and then move the file as per your instructions?

Here is a good article to read as storing the presets in the catalog is not simple, there are cases where you just cannot use it, for example where you have multiple catalogs:

Short answer:
If you store LR presets with your LR catalog, you’ll need to manually move the Topaz files from your default LR presets folder to your new LR presets folder (overwriting any old Topaz presets).

Long answer:
You decide where you want to store your LR presets and use workarounds for any software that doesn’t properly detect your setup.

Re LRQueen article, it didn’t mention that if you save presets with the catalog, and they are both on a different drive to the operating system, you won’t lose anything if your operating system dies. Just reinstall on a new drive. I have all my programs on one drive, and all files on others – handy for clean Windows reinstalls and simpler for backups.

1 Like

Thanks for the article, I don’t think I should enable this option. Will Topaz provide guidance on how to fix the workflow for this update?

I’m reposting this in reply to you, my last post didn’t appear connect to your message. Ok so if I don’t store my presets with my catalog, what could be a fix?

If you store your LR presets in the default location (save presets with catalog UNchecked), then Topaz exporters should work for you without any tweaking.

Most people having issues were saving LR presets with the LR catalog, and the Topaz installer wasn’t looking for that setting, so it put the new plugin link in the wrong spot. Any previous Topaz plugin link still sat in the correct spot, but changes to the 3.3x program executable meant the process no longer worked correctly. Hence the confusion of Topaz running, but not working properly when called from LR.

1 Like

Right…thank you for spelling it out. I’m confused because I have always had this option unchecked and it isn’t working for me as described in the posts. Not sure how to fix it…

If I follow these instructions to install v3.3, does my workflow below remain the same?

https://support.topazlabs.com/article/82-denoise-ai-3-3-lightroom-update-instructions

My current workflow:

1. Apply Develop settings to my raw file (NEF) in Lightroom. Decide if I use LR to sharpen and denoise, OR use Topaz DeNoise or Sharpen AI if needed to perfect my image.
  2. If I decide to use DeNoise AI, I select the external editor. Photo…Edit in…Topaz DeNoise AI, selecting the edit with Lightroom settings applied option. I first turn OFF capture sharpening (amount=40) in Lightroom.
  3. The external editor creates a TIF file with develop settings applied and launches Topaz DeNoise AI. I understand that the DeNoise AI RAW model CANNOT be applied to a TIF file. So I select one of the standard models.
  4. I select a model and apply settings.
  5. I click the blue Apply button. DeNoise AI applies the settings to my TIF file, REPLACING the input TIF file.
  6. DeNoise AI closes and “roundtrips” back to Lightroom, where my denoised TIF file appears in Lightroom (with no need to synchronize the folder to get it to appear).

Until I can see a benefit to using the RAW model, and I can’t see ANY benefit right now, I want to continue using this workflow.

1 Like

My annual software license has just expired .
There is no point in me paying a renewal because Topaz are not supporting Fuji camera users . I am so angry having been a loyal customer over past years with entire suite of products excluding video

1 Like

Topaz software does open Fuji images in RAW format.

The latest version of Denoise Ai cannot apply the new raw mode to Fuji raw files

I could open a couple of Fuji files from rawsamples.ch (with 3.3.0)

It is true that Fuji Raw files do not work with RAW mode.

Really too bad, but probably the same reason as Dxo PhotoLab

In photoshop CC(2021) action, it must continue to press apply. how can i fix it?

Fuji RAF images work in DeNoise as they always have. Why should the RAW model make a difference … Sometimes the RAW model is not applicable, especially in low light and then you have the change the model.

As well RAF images, I process them, have an issue because they can be X-Trans.

This should be resolved in 3.3.3 which we are testing at the moment. For that release I believe that the setting shouldn’t need to be changed anymore and the previous lrtemplate would work (not needing to point to external editor shortcut).

The reasoning for this is that Fuji files are a completely different format than most other RAW files, and the color data does not match up with what the model supports. This makes it hard for us to support a single camera type as a special case. I’m not sure if we plan on updating this in the future, I’d have to ask.

1 Like

I also could not make the new Raw mode open in Denoise AI from Lightroom via Windows 10, and I am using Nikon Raw Files.
Topaz helpline have just told me that it is not possible to edit a raw image from Lightroom directly into the RAW module of the Denoise AI interface via the Lightroom plug-in. The RAW mode is only accessible via Stand Alone so you have to open the image via Explorer into Denoise, only then is the RAW Selection available, and then Save back to Lightroom as a dng file (You cannot Save it as a Nef Nikon Raw for example)
This is not the great addition to Lightroom that Topaz claims it seems!

1 Like

Lightroom workflow has nothing to do with Topaz, that is how external editors work from Lightroom… Lightroom creates a copy of the cataloged image which means your originals are never corrupted.

Hi,

I had a look at the new RAW model and after some playing on various pics I have to say I am really impressed how it handles the noise. In my particular case pics taken at 12.800 ISO were tough to process especially when slightly underexposed; sky and even surface demonstrated lots of graininess, splotches and what not. Now, with the RAW model I get much better results and superior quality compared to previous DeNoise outputs. Yeah, there is still some color shifts resulting from color profile management (I guess), but I can go around it somehow.

Overall I think it’s a very good option provided to users.

thanks Topaz Team
Greg