Deinterlacing is almost good

hi, i have a problem with the deinterlacing … If I deinterlace my original video (25i) with video enhance, it is done really well, doubling the fps well, but it gives big flickers on dark colors or on the movements, impossible to remove … I have tried absolutely everything for two weeks, doubling the frequencies, with filters with virtualdub, vegas pro, different encoding parameters, etc … The only means I have found to have a good deinterlacing, it is precisely to reinterlace the video with vegas pro, to use the deinterlace filter (duplicate field and double framerate) to output a 50 fps video with an interlacing, when i start launched with topaz, with dione dv, it doubles the number of frames to 100. So the video has twice as many frames, but if I delete every other frame, it is normally smooth but shakes a bit due to a shift of one line with every other frame, but I musn’t delete
(00001, 00002, 00004 etc)
but I must delete
(0001, 0002, 0005, 0006) etc …
A real problem …

1 Like

I discovered that with NTSC DV deinterlacing, there is occasionally one or more backward frame steps and then the forward motion resumes. It is not always noticeable but I happened to discover it when I upscaled a sequence that had scrolling text on it so the problem was quite obvious. I contacted Topaz about it and apparently someone or someones also had an issue similar to mine. From info stated on here regarding the projected change timeline it looks like the deinterlacing issues may be addressed by an update in May.

that will be great … i have tried so many filters with virtualdub, a filter that inverts the fields and indeed often the image skipped one line, an interlaced video at 25 fps, i have to output it at 50 fps with virtualdub, by remaining interlaced so that video enhance gives me a beautiful deinterlaced video, but since it doubles the framerate, it gives it to me in 100 fps, the problem is there, I must select in the folder one image out of two to have my film , and even by selecting the even or odd images or in this order: 000000, 000003, 000004, 000007, 000008 etc, the image has a slight trampoline, but with a slight stabilization in vegas pro, we do not see it anymore :slight_smile: only stabilization takes a long time to load just on a film with 300 frames …

Interesting. I was tearing (what’s left of) my hair out trying to deinterlace a PAL movie so that I could run RemoveDirt through Avisynth before Topaz. I was using QTGMC and getting exactly the occasional backward frame steps you describe. I thought at the time that maybe it was BFF instead of the reported TFF, but the effect was the same either way I tried. In the end I gave up QTGMC and used Dione Interlaced Robust (to avoid doubling the frames for RemoveDirt) first and that worked perfectly.

I don’t know remove dirt, does it exist for virtual dub?
but in my case it’s not dirt, it’s deinterlacing, I can do it with any software, be it will show me more staircase effects, be it is well deinterlaced (as with vegas pro , the only one that deinterlaces well) but there are still artifacts in the video, there is really only video enhance which deinterlaces perfectly, I hope that the concern that there is which causes a flicker by doubling the framerate, it is because of the chroma, something that will apparently be fixed in a future update. If that’s right, then the deinterlacing of video enhance will be fine.

As far as I know it’s only available for avisynth, although obviously, as a frame server, avisynth can feed into vdub. I appreciate that your issue is with deinterlacing, it just happens that I needed to deinterlace because I wanted to used the removedirt filter, which works better on complete frames.

ok, i don’t use avisynthe, i have never gotten there before, it seems to me that it works by command prompt right? I just saw that since then, for virtual dub there have been filters of the same kind, for deinterlacing, when there is an export in png, we can cut it and resume later or was it?

liam.angel were you using AVISource or something else? I don’t have much confidence in some other playback methods in AviSynth. I would maybe convert it to UTVideo in VDub and then deinterlace with AVISource.

what is avisource??

AviSource is a plugin for AviSynth. It’s a way of opening an AVI, WAV or VDR file, taking care of compression and so on, so that AviSynth can process the frames.

Hi daniel.parks, my remark is in danger of taking ssbroly’s thread off track, so I’ll end here. I was using FFmpegSource2 (the source is mkv). It’s a DVD scan from a poorly maintained film master that I’ve been trying to clean up a bit. I’m happy with my results using Topaz first, then RemoveDirt, but I’m going to experiment a bit along the lines you suggest just to see whether QTGMC is really the guilty party (so thanks for the suggestion). I hadn’t considered whether FFmpegSource2 might be an issue.

ssbroly AviSynth uses script files which can be created using a text editor. I apologize as I don’t understand the second part of your question and I also don’t have any experience yet with saving image sequences from VEAI - only mp4’s.

to put it simply, the deinterlacing works well, but there is some flickering on the video which cannot be removed, I have tried everything, I hope that it is in relation to the chroma that topaz plan to rectify. So I have to make sure to import my video at 50 fps instead of 25i and suddenly the software outputs a video at 100 fps so with twice too much image, hence the importance of exporting it in picture png, then select only half. this manipulation avoids having this flickering. by doing this method, every second image is still shifted by one line which causes a very slight shake which can be corrected with a slight stabilization.

Maybe you could try first using Yadif deinterlacing in VirtualDub (with double-framerate deinterlacing, so 25i to 50p) then open it in Topaz. Apparently that won’t give you quite as good a result as using AviSynth with QTGMC but it should be a lot easier. But make sure not to deinterlace in Topaz also.

no … nothing deinterlaces as well as with vegas pro and the gpu … apart from video enhance, it is he who deinterlaces the best if there were no sparkles … yadis, bob, eula etc, it is ugly on my videos

I’m relatively new to this, and a bit reluctant to reply, but the problem could be in your settings. Near the top there is a box in which you select either: top first or bottom first. If you are getting the backward situation as you mentioned changing that setting might help. It did for me.

no, it’s not because of the upper weft and the lower weft, it’s more complicated than that. it is the slightest tremors, which still hurt the eyes.

Does this help?

for me it is currently the only way to get the best results from interlaced sources, since all de-interlacing methods of VEAI do create flicker effects in a lot of horizontal movement scenes. Also i did not want to change Dione Interlaced, but have an additional profile i can work with. I also did not only change the interlacing parameter but also removed everything related to this in the json file.

But you need to have a good de-interlacing software, so i used ffmpeg for this and created a script to de-interlace files and also all files in a folder at once.