Curious...What are you folks using Gpxl for most?

Hi folks,

Other than testing, what are y’all using Gigapixel for the most? Enlarging old photos, enlarging parts of photos, making posters?

Are you finishing images first then enlarging them? or bringing raw photos in and finishing later?

Do you feel that Gpxl works better with a particular type of image…landscape, architecture, portrait etc.?

Thanks!
Linda

Hi Linda,

I can’t use the current beta version of Gigapixel. It crashes every time. So I’ve uninstalled it to free space on my PC.

With the older release version I mostly upsize older pics that I’d like to do Ps manipulations on.

I sometimes run a denoise program like Nik deFine on those older images before running an upsize.

I rarely print. So I"m mostly trying to salvage and/or fill in pixels to do some Ps manipulations for digital posting. In rare instances (like for an art exhibition) I might print.

The images that have worked most successfully for me have clean edges against uncluttered backgrounds. I primarily shoot architecture, landscapes, nature. So have no real experience using the program for portraits of people (portraits of animals, yes). I haven’t tried on my street photography because that is photojournalism and can’t be tampered with.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

I use it primarily on cell phone pictures.

1 Like

I’ve been primarily using it recently to enlarge relatively old B/W family photos. Most of these are 3" X 3" pictures shot with a cheap plastic Kodak box camera using film and needing developing. The people in the photos were many times shot from 15 or 20 feet away, so they are pretty small in these 75 to 100 year old photos. They are not the sharpest images to work with either, and Gigapixel is able to add some detail to them as well as the larger size.

My cell phone photos are quite large in comparison, and with greater clarity, but when cropped it’s very nice to be able to enlarge the cropped section up to an 8 X 10 or larger with pretty much the same clarity.

I’m a gemstone artist which means I design and create custom gemstones. These are very small things to photograph. Being able to shoot and then send an 8 X 10 image of the sometimes only 2 or 3 mm gemstone I just created for a client, along with the actual gemstone to the client, is awesome.

I also do a great deal of videography, and it’s quite common to find a beautiful shot that I captured on video that I really wished I’d gotten with my still camera. I’m less concerned with this anymore because with Gigapixel I can take a still frame shot from my video and enlarge it many many times larger and still have an acceptable shot I can hang on the wall.

1 Like

I’ve used it several ways, cropped image, and cell phone images. I am also a digital artist using Corel Painter and photos for a reference. My son texted me a photo of his daughter that I used to paint a portrait for my son. I used Gigapixel to enlarge it to an 15X11 to send out to print. My son loves the painting and has it hanging in his living room.

2 Likes

I enlarge most of my images to 4000 pixels on the shortest side. The largest “standard” print I order is 40 inches.

Sometimes I enlarge a small portion of an image, e.g. a shot from the TV monitor

1 Like

I made a 8ft by 4ft banner, the company said they never had a customer file that was already setup to print a banner with.

3 Likes

When I use Dreamscopeapp or NeuralStyle.art I can upscale the very small files these apps involve - into saleable sizes.

2 Likes

I don’t use it as i’ve no need to upscale my photographs. But I do like Jack’s suggestion for upscaling Dreamscape art

Interesting. I did not know about Dreamscopeapp or NeuralStyle.art. What do they offer that we cannot do in AI ReMix?

A huge number of totally different looks/presets. Dreamscopeapp lets you use their own filters - the filters other users have used - and your own filters (essentially another photograph). It is free. NeuralStyle.art is one cent per photo, each photo having independently adjustable settings.

1 Like

Once Upscaled, there are a small amount of jaggies to deal with (artefacts). My own remedy is to use an oil-paint filter (there is a good one in CC - and several in Impression). Then, for a smoothing effect, I use Neon Rise from ReMix - change the blend to darker/soft/pin/color/sat/hue - whatever. It smooths the oil filter look.

1 Like

I use it for large format print output, although the GAI maximum pixel dimension limitations are annoying.

I also use it for upscaling mobile phone images, and it helps for very detailed retouch to first upscale, then retouch, and then downscale to the final dimensions (it gains resolution on the upscale).

It’s also nice to upscale individual Video frames, and I hear that some use it to upscale entire videos (but that requires a lot of powerful hardware to finish the batch job(s) in a reasonable time).

Gigapixel for Video is already up and running online - Topazlabs Servers do all the heavy-lifting!

GPxlVid%20New

1 Like

Very interesting! I have a lot of old DV footage but I doubt the quality is good enough for upscaling. Will definitely do a test at the new site asap!
I do, however, think that Topaz should include this feature in the desktop version. Some users have very, very fast machines with blazing speed GPUs and they could probably at least upscale short clips.
A slow workaround would be to export all frames as individual images, do a batch upscale process and reassemble the video. Not for the faint hearted and those using antique machinery like me!

Topazlabs pricing model is so many dollars per minute of footage … so its definitely an online service.

That’s how I first read it - but it’s per megapixel!

Use it “souly” for up-scaling small pieces of B&W digital art for use in church bulletins to get around pixelation problems.

…for use in church bulletins.

Well, that’s very ‘enlightened’ of you and ‘revelatory’ of you to share with us … Cute!!