CS6 and Topaz-- How to load products for best results

I have been a proud owner of every product you have (to the best of my knowledge). I’ve been using CS6 for years now and that is my product of choice, as I will not go to a subscription service.

My question is this: From a clean install of every product (including CS6), how does one best install EVERYTHING on a Windows 10 system to best make use of both the functionality of CS6 and the Topaz products. For example, I love Remix and have owned it for years. I obviously have upgraded to the AI version, but to the best of my knowledge, it doesn’t fit in with the filters of Photoshop CS6. Thus, I still need an older version of Remix so that I can call it from a filter within Photoshop. Hopefully, Topaz will eventually make all their products fit in as filters within CS6 as well as Topaz 2. Both Topaz 2 and CS6 products have their place in my photo-editing arsenal.

My question is this. How should I load the Topaz products, which ones, and where to put them so that I get everything working from CS6 and Topaz 2?

I raise this question only because I have never been able to get all the products working right. I’m hoping from a clean build of the OS and Adobe CS6, I can finally realize a fully functioning Topaz product.

Thank you for your response.

I upgraded my pc from win 7 to win 10 and cs6 and the topaz programs ported over seamlessly.

Ported? I’m doing a clean install of everything. As I stated, I have never been able to get all the products to work cleanly. For example, Denoise AI, I can’t click and drag files into it; I have to open the files from within the app. If I close it down, it will set all sliders to 15% and that’s all it will do (Oh, I can move the sliders, but they don’t affect the photo). The only way to “fix” the problem is to re-install Denoise AI and NOT shut it down; just minimize it between usage. And, that’s just one example.

I can’t really help you with installing everything in CS6 as I no longer have it - but I’m sure somebody who does will be able to help. However, AI Remix is a filter within Studio 2 so you won’t be able to access it directly from PS - you’ll have to take your image from PS into Studio 2 and then access it. There isn’t an old version of it as far as I’m aware, and I have (or so I thought) the complete Topaz collection. Do you perhaps mean Restyle?

Oops, I meant Mask AI. The original Remask worked great for me as I could call it from within Photoshop and then pull the clean copy back into Photoshop to continue work. With the new Mask AI, I haven’t found much use for it yet as it just doesn’t seem to fit into the workflow from Photoshop. I even still use Studio 1 as I can’t seem to do some of the things I could do there in the newer Studio 2-- which kind of confuses me. Usually, one would expect that a new release would do everything that the old version did plus more. I’m pretty sure I’m not alone in this assessment of Studio 1 & 2. I have faith that the developers will get it right before long, it’s just taking time. My real concern is that the developers have put all their efforts into the Studio 2 and forget that most of us still use other tools as well in our work. Being able to call the Topaz products from Photoshop is a huge plus.

I ran into the same problem with my copy of Photoshop CS6, found a solution, and posted about it here.

You should find the shortcuts for all the Topaz Labs products in “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC”. I’ve been wondering if copying and pasting the shortcuts would work too.

I suppose a third option is to open Photoshop CS6 and then click on Edit>Preferences>Plug-Ins…" This should open the Preferences dialog box, Plug-Ins sub-menu. Check the “Additional Plug-Ins” box, then enter “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC”. I haven’t tried this so I’m not sure if it’ll work.

1 Like