Cannot Get Gigapixel to Give Me A 300ppi Image

Hi, I have tried everything to get my images to upscale at 300ppi to no avail. I got an answer from support that I should change my output size unit from pixels to inches, and this would solve the problem. It solved it once. It hasn’t given me a 300ppi image since.
I tried going back a version. I tried using different models. ( Low Res 1, Low Res 2, and Recovery) And obviously am putting my output size in inches, not pixels. Nothing works.
I paid good money for this software and need it for my business. Please help me get the program to work properly.
Any help genuinely appreciated!

I carried out a test on a file. At the bottom of the first screenshot you can see the image is being scaled 4 times, and on the right the ppi has been set to 300.

After exporting the image as a tiff, I opened it in Photoshop. You can see in the second screenshot that PS shows the file is 300ppi.

What is telling you your exported files are not 300ppi?

Gigapixel can only increase the pixel count. It is not able to transform a fully digital image with no physical size and therefore no physical pixel density into an image with a physical size and a physical pixel density. The ppi/dpi are not an absolute size. They are relative sizes and refer to the output device, not to the image. To calculate if the pixel count will match your needs for output to a certain device with a certain pixel density maybe use my batach file. :slight_smile:

dpi to pixel.zip (262 Bytes)

image

Thanks for the reply!

Last night I realized that three of my upscaled images which I thought were 300ppi were only 72dpi when I opened them in Photoshop Beta. ( That’s how I tell what dpi they actually are.) I then took those already upscaled images and upscaled them again, making sure they were set to come out at 300ppi. I did not take screenshots of Gigapixel at this time. I tried numerous times, changing slightly different things, but it did not raise the ppi on any trial. You can see a screenshot I took this morning of one of these images I did last night, in Photoshop, showing the dpi as 72.

Now this morning I got 6 new upscaled images from Gigapixel that did come out as 300ppi!

I only did three things differently:

  • I used the original small image to upscale, rather than the ones that had been previously upscaled (and came out at 72dpi)
  • I cleared my Gigapixel file cache before each one
  • I deleted my Recent file history in Gigapixel before each one
    (And of course, taking advice from support, inputted my image dimensions in inches, not pixel units)

I took a screenshot of while successfully upscaling a 300ppi, you can see below. Wish I had screenshots of when it wouldn’t work…

So it appears the problem is solved for now. I just wish I knew it would stay that way. This is the second time it started giving me 72ppi images when 300ppi was specified. And I’m not sure exactly why it’s working now. So can’t be certain I will always be able to duplicate the results…

I included a lot of detail so as to help anyone else who comes across this thread and is experiencing the same issue. (The first shot shows the image that came out as 72dpi.)



The same issue here. The only valid numbers are the width and height in pixels. Gigapixel can only increase the number of pixels. But not per Inch. Because digital data have no physical size. It doesn’t matter what is written in the metadata. Some applications like Photoshop do not even care about your metadata. You will get dots per inch when you actually print the image to paper, but fully digital the dpi/ppi are just of an theoretical interest. These numbers refer to your output device, not to your image. :neutral_face:

There was no problem except of the missunderstanding of what dots per Inch or pixels per Inch refer to. Those are relative sizes, not absolute ones. How many dpi/ppi you will see at the end only depends on your printer or monitor. On a different monitor or if your printer or printing software is set up wrong you will end up with different dpi/ppi again no matter what was written in the metadata!