Breakthrough

Hello Everyone,

This is another image from my trip to Colorado in early September. I was heading back to my AirBnB from the day’s hike and stopped on the side of the road photograph the stormy skies over the mountains. That bright ball of fire lighting up the middle plunged my foreground and the mountain into deep shadows. But LR and Topaz were able to pull them back to the light. LR then Adjust with a luminosity mask made with B&WEffects. D7000 12-24mm f/4 @ 12mm f/8 and 1/800sec ISO 100 handheld. Thanks for looking.

After basic adjustments in LR

LR before any adjustments

Best regards

7 Likes

Great job on this!

1 Like

From a jpg original and not a raw, that is an amazing transformation.

2 Likes

Beautiful skies and very nice recovery!

This is a great looking sky…nicely captured.

1 Like

No, no. Sorry for the confusion @Mond; this is from RAW. I shoot RAW + JPEG, and the camera’s JPEG was handy to upload to the post.

Something I didn’t know until now, is that exporting images anywhere from your history in LR doesn’t alter the history. Usually, if you go somewhere in the middle of your history and make an adjustment, you lose everything after that point, but not so with exporting.

Again, sorry for the confusion. Being a RAW enthusiast, I had correct my error to avoid giving too much hope to JPEGers. :cold_sweat: :grin:

Best regards

2 Likes

Thankyou @Michigander @Mond @KenKv @digital2006

I suppose this was a good candidate for an HDR. But like panoramas, anything with multiple images takes me out of my normal workflow so I tend to limit those.

1 Like

Beautiful setting, capture and edit …

1 Like

Beautiful capture and very nice work with your edits.

1 Like