Big drop in noise reduction performance since upgrading to Photo AI 3.0.3

Hi there,
I have been really surprised in the results of denoising some low light wildlife photo’s after my last upgrade. Up until recently, Photo AI outperformed LightRoom Denoise ( the AI one) by a small margin but significant margin and of course i liked the UI, preview and controls. I tried multiple images, including ones i have processed with Photo AI in the past. They are all now significantly worse than vs Lightroom. The Photo AI ones have got worse - there is a large drop in detail. Hoping 3.0.4 improves this otherwise i will have to stick to LR.

Would you sharing some examples of this reduction in performance for our developers to review?

1 Like

Certainly,
I have attached a screen shot showing a comparison between Photo AI ( Left) and LR ( Right ) both with default settings. The detail seems to be lost along with color info. Possibly the behaviour has changed now and i need to play more with the settings in AI to get the result. Do you need the original NEF ? BTW, my workflow is to convert to TIF as part of the process. I have not found operating on RAW to work very well with Topaz as whitebalance and colour gets broken when i used raw.

Kevin

Would you mind sending in some more information to get a better understanding of the problem you are having with this particular type of image? Please send the following information:

1. The original image file.
  2. The processed image.
  3. A screenshot or description of the settings panel so I can see what adjustments were turned on.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below.

Dropbox File Request

Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.

Hi there,
I have uploaded the files requested. I have other examples if needed, but this one has the most pronounced difference between LR and AI. Appreciate that this is an extreme image. Badger trotting towards me meant i was limited in getting the shutter speed down too low and hence ISO is as about as high as it gets. Nevertheless, i have had similar or better results than LR in the past with similar levels of ISO / low light . There were the default settings - the result improved marginally when i changed to high, but were still no where near as good as I have seen previously.
Kevin

Thanks for sending in those files. Could you tell me which Lightroom Classic plugin you are using so I can replicate this workflow:

• File > Plug-in Extras > Process with Topaz Photo
  • Photo > Edit in > Topaz Photo AI

Also please make sure that when using the Remove Noise feature that you have the correct settings for your Selection option, which for this image I would recommend using All.

I have included some more information from our Topaz Labs Documentation page that you can review below:

HI,
I am using plugin version 3.0.4.
OK. I will try again answer play with the settings.
Kevin

I am using Lightroom 13.3.1 - see below for plugin. I tried various levels of denoise. Certainly using strong vs extreme ( default for this image) helped, but was not as good as LR. I am certain that something has changed, but perhaps it is just something specific to my workflow. Generally Edit in Photo AI and converting to TIF and for most images, the details from AI work just fine. Now consistently the results seem worse for me and LR is consistently better. I verified that the whole image was selected. I should say, that i have noticed this on ‘extreme images’ - i.e really low light and badgers, owls and foxes where i am at the limit of what i can shoot with.
Any info helpful, for the time being i willl use LR and keep trying occasionally with AI, especially when i get some other less extreme situations.
Kevin