Better parameters for upscaling SD to FULL HD and/or 4k

Guys, I got away from the Topaz Video Enhance AI software updates, now Topaz Video AI, and I need your help to improve an SD video, 480p, to 1080 (FULL HD) and/or 2160 (4K).
What would be, in the current version v.3.1.0, the best settings for me to do the best upscaling from SD to Full HD or 4K, of an NTSC video, 480 pixels, 3x4, 29,970 (30000/1001) FPS, Intelaced?

Thank you so much in advance for the community’s help.

Att.

Druid®.

There is no best setting. It depends on the quality of the source material. Overall I would not expect SD material getting higher than 720p if the quality of the source is low.

2 Likes

if this any help…

1 Like

Thank you very much friend akilaspam, your experience was really helpful and to expose it here to help me/us, because I have some SD videos, shows on DVD, which are very dear to me, because I love these shows and they never came out in HD (Yanni - Tribute is one of them), and as we have seen a lot of talk in other forums about progressive upscaling with QTGMC, Da Vinci, among others, there are even supporters of the pure use of ffmpeg commands, AviSynth and so on , I got pretty lost in all of this.
When you say DV / TV you are referring to the use of Dione: DV and/or Dione: TV, correct me if I’m wrong, but DV is more applied to DVD Videos and TV to SD videos from SD cameras and Streaming right?
Well, I accidentally discovered that if I change in TVAI 3.1.1, in OUT, from 29.97 FPS Original to 29.97 FPS, it opens the option of, together with Dione DV, the Frame Interpolation, and I can choose between Apollo, Chronos, Chronos Fast, I’m using Cronos, it seems to me that it improves by increasing the interpolation of very fast scenes, am I right, or should I not use it?
Ah yes I’m using Dione: DV, since this is an SD video of an NTSC show 29.97 fps, and I’m using this same fps than double, which he suggests as HD standard which is 59.94, I’m winning or losing something like that, should use 59.94, I think the final file in Full HD should double in size, no?
Am I going the right way? From what you said yes, because I didn’t convert my SD Interlaced to SD/HD/FHD progressive with QTGMC.
What does the Motion Deblur, Add Noise and Grain filter do?
My output is 1080p FHD, with AUTO bitrate, Audio Setting COPY, in MKV H264 FORMAT.

Att.

Druid®

you are asking some questions that I don’t have an answer to. I am not an expert in Video encoding, what i responded was solo based on my testing with interlaced videos on my camcorder with hours of testing all kind of combinations.

but to answer what i can or i believe is correct:

1. When you say DV / TV you are referring to the use of Dione: DV and/or Dione: TV - correct.
  2. I can choose between Apollo, Chronos, Chronos Fast - I think it open this option because you disabled the default x2 FPS de-interlaced (by manually selecting 29.9 FPS), so it allows you to pick what method to double your frames if you choose so. I personally wouldn’t go that path, the de-interlace does a good job creating frames to achieve x2 (e.g. 25fps → 50 fps)
  3. should use 59.94, I think the final file in Full HD should double in size, no? - not double, but larger file. it’s better to use the 50FPS as you will get much smoother viewing experience. when i kept it at original frame, i felt the video motion was choppy and not so smooth.
  4. What does the Motion Deblur, Add Noise and Grain filter do? - Motion Deblur is if your movie has object that a blur do to high speed or high camera movement and you want to sharpen it, I personally don’t need it as most of my videos are slow moving objects. never tested it. the other two, never tried it, so i don’t know how it improves video quality.
1 Like

Thank you very much for the answers my friend akilaspam, your answers were very useful, gratitude for your time and for your patience in sharing with me and with the community your experiences, they were of great help.

If someone who has already worked with DVD in SD 480p and upscaling to Full HD and/or 4K, with TVAI 3.#.# and wants to complement the answers of friend akilaspam, helping the community with his knowledge, I thank you in advance for your attention and time spent.

Att.

Druid®.