Best way to enhance DV PAL from Digital8 source

Hello,

what is the best way to enhance a DV PAL 720x576 input source with interpolation? I would say:

• Dione TV 100% Denoise/Deblock
  • Artemis LQ to FullHD

Any better way? Is Artemis LQ ok for DV PAL? Would it be better to export to 4k and rescale it to FullHD later with Lanczos algorythm (XMedia Recode)?

Thanks for your help!

i would do medium quality artemis. LQ will kill off too much detail.

also to deinterlace instead of topaz try staxrip and the qtgmc filter. ive found the results are cleaner using that

Thanks!
I will use Artemis MQ then.
I tried Staxrip but could not open the mkv file after that. Not even VLC could… strange… I checked “Source=Automatic”, “Field=GTGMC medium” and “Noise=DFTTest”. If the result is not that far superior there I rather stick to Topaz and have everything in one product.

EDIT: Interesting, I even get better results when using Proteus-9 with well chosen settings. Even more crispy but not too crispy picture here…

ty mp4 and last i checked staxrip qtgmc is superior topaz work with certain interlacing but others ive found it not to work as well.

Hello,

after nearly a year without touching Topaz Video Enhance I´m finally back to my project. I could never find the time. Now I realized there is even a version 3.0 but my upgrade plan expired 2 months ago… aaargh! So there is only the way to spend another $150?

Did anything change on my above workflow? I captured a few AVI files with Premiere from my Digital8 cassettes and wonder what to do next. I read somewhere that I could expand the videos to 4K and then use XMediaRecode to downsize it with a Lanczos filter to get a crispier picture in 1080p? Is that the way to go:

1. Dione TV
  2. Artemis MQ to 4K
  3. Downsize with Lanczos Filter

Or does anybody have a better way? Thanks for any help and sorry for the long quiet time…

EDIT: Just tested a bit around… Artemis Dehalo is good as Artemis MQ but with more natural color. Also I compared 4K-to-Lanczos-2K and straight-to-2K and first looks crispier.

EDIT2: The software doesn´t let me export the audio in the first DioneTV step, even if I choose “no fps doubling”. The button is grey… source is a avi-file from Adobe Premiere DV capture.

I’ve done a lot of Digital 8 tapes.

First I decide if I am going to capture them at 60p or 30p. Some customers like the fluid look. I use broadcast quality hardware / software to do that in real time.

I don’t like the results from de-interlacing with Topaz. It is not consistent and I don’t have time to mess with different trial and errors.

Regardless, I then use the Artemis MQ. Sometimes the video looks too artificial and then I’ll choose Artemis HQ instead. LQ is never used - it will look too plastic.

I find that older videos should never look perfect, but that is my opinion. I guess between analog records and CDs. They need some warmth.

I typically add some grain as well if it needs more texture.

Thanks for sharing your experience