Batch Processing Memory Leak | MacOS | Application runs out of memory

Every time I batch process my images Photo AI causes my Macbook Pro M3 to run out of application memory. Photo AI is using 48GB or more of memory.

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Load my directory of images
  2. Let Photo AI auto process
  3. Save all the files
  4. Photo AI will cause my laptop hang by using all the memory.

This only started when I updated to 2.4.0

Topaz Photo AI [v2.4.0] on Mac
2024-03-07-21-23-6.tzlog (1.7 MB)
2024-03-07-20-50-28.tzlog (3.6 MB)
2024-03-07-20-23-6.tzlog (2.5 MB)
2024-03-07-19-34-27.tzlog (1.9 MB)
2024-03-07-18-44-18.tzlog (2.2 MB)

Please follow the instructions below to perform a clean install to better troubleshoot why you had this problem with Topaz Photo AI:

Start by clearing any previous plist files that are on your computer for Topaz Photo AI by following the steps in the link below:

Topaz Photo AI | plist Files Mac

After you have done this, disable any antivirus, firewall, VPN, or proxy software that might be active on your computer. These tools are sometimes known to interfere with the installer’s ability to download the model files.

Please also ensure that the Topaz Photo AI installer has all the proper settings in your system by going to your Mac System Settings > Privacy & Security tab and scrolling down to the security section. You will want to make sure you have 'App Store and identified developers ’ selected. Here is a video example:

Example of Proper System Preferences

Finally, rerun the installer. You can download a new installer from the downloads page directly :

Topaz Labs Download Page

Let me know how that goes for you and I’ll keep an eye out for your reply.

I have the same issue with my M1 MacBook Pro (8gb ram) on 2.4.0. I had to roll back to 2.3.2. I then tried installing 2.4.1 but had the same issue and have had to reinstall 2.3.2 in order to batch process my images.

Hi, have the same issue on my AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 64Gb RAM. App version 2.4.1. Initially, it takes around 12 sec per image. Gradually, memory consumption rises, from around 8Gb higher and higher with every processed image and up to 52Gb of 64Gb after processing 87 images. Sometimes it rises higher, causing the app to become irresponsive, then pausing the app does not free any amount of RAM. The only one solution in that case is to interrupt processing, then close the app, restart, and load the rest of the unprocessed images. If processing finishes successfully, closing queue window does not reduce the amount of used memory - it remains the same at ~62Gb used of 64 total. RAM frees only after the app closes.

More interesting supervision. When batch-converting HEIC > TIFF 16-bit ZIP, memory consumption keeps ± on the same level, ofc it increases over time, but not in such a dramatic and quick way like when RAW (CR2) > JPEG conversion is done.

@dwayne.vinson @gareth.roberts @bola

With the new release, v3.0.1, we have greatly improved Topaz Photo AI memory management, and the memory leaks have nearly been fixed.

You can use your in-app updater or use the following link to find the latest installer for Topaz Photo AI:

Topaz Labs | Downloads

There is still potentially a RAW/DNG memory leak, which our developers are still in the process of fixing, but I can assure you they are hard at work correcting this problem :slight_smile:

If you are primarily processing RAW, I recommend holding off updating if you have urgent work. Otherwise, please let us know if you are experiencing this in the latest version.

Once you update to Topaz Photo AI v3.0.1, let us know how the application is performing with batch processing, and if you have any questions in the meantime, you can always ask us here or reach out to us at the following link:

Topaz Labs | Support Page

You can also send us an email at help@topazlabs.com :slight_smile:

Mac users who batch process: Install Memory Cleaner and have it set to free up memory every couple of minutes

I was able to batch process 321 images in v3.0.1 with this. Before, I had to force quit the app after about 315. This is on an M1 Mac mini with only 16GB RAM.

I used to load all my photos in from one session (50-150 photos) and let Topaz AI work its magic. Now I am having to load each photo separately, save it, close the photo and go to the next. What used to take me 30 minutes of the program doing everything is now taking at least 2X the time and me trying to make sure I did all the steps. I am so disappointed with all the new “UPDATES” I wish I would have just kept the original program and not done any update ever. This program sucks now.

1 Like

Please send me your system profile information so I can check if your computer hardware is up to date.

You can securely submit your files(s) to my Dropbox using the link below.

Please be sure to send me a note here to let me know you sent something.

Hi John
Thank you for helping!! I have been so frustrated since it is my super busy season.
I uploaded a screenshot of my profile into the dropbox

Still awaiting an answer on this….

Anna Knutson Photography
Owner / Chief Creative Officer
Phone : 816-797-6474
Portfolio : Anna Knutson Gallery

Facebook @annaknutsonphotographyphotos
Instagram : @akphotographykc

Thank you for supporting Small Business!

1 Like

It’s been like that for months. You work on 1 image, it processes and saves it in a fraction of a second. If you batch process just 20 images and even worse a hundred or more, then it goes from less than 1 second for an image to minutes and minutes of a frozen app doing… who knows ? GPU’s not used, CPU’s not used. It’s just… waiting for a train to pass or something. You gotta process images 1 by 1, by hand… or 5 by 5. But not too many.

Just to precise, I’ve got a 4090RTX, i9-14900, 64GB of RAM on a full DDR5 system, Topaz is of course running on GPU, saving on SSD drives.

I just did a test on 57 images queued, biggest image is 539x539. Not talking 8K big ass pictures here.

• Minute 1 of processing the queue:
    Topaz upscaled the first 14 images
  • Minute 2 of processing the queue:
    Topaz upscaled 8 images
  • Minute 3 of processing the queue:
    Topaz upscaled 4 images
  • Minute 4 and Minute 5 of processing the queue:
    Topaz upscaled 3 then again 3 images
  • Minute 6 of processing the queue:
    Topaz upscaled 2 images only …
  • Minute 7 and above:
    I’m now at 1 image per minute.

For the sake of that test, I let the full 57 images queue run till the end. So, 14 first images the first minute. And a grand total (at the end it was more than 1 minute per image…) of 23 minutes. Doesn’t make any sense. 57 / 14 = 4 minutes. Not 23…

While we’re waiting, CPU usage is at 1% (probably not even Topaz using that) and GPU at 0%. Nothing is happening. And every 50 seconds or so (above 7 minutes into processing this small 57 images queue) there’s a hickup of GPU usage, another image is processed and then nothing again for 50+ seconds… And if we pause / cancel the ongoing process, UI becomes unresponsive, and closing / re-opening it is the only way to be able to use without having to wait 30 seconds after every click. In other words, optimum way to use Topaz now is to process images 10 by 10, and close the app after each queue.

It’s ULTRA obvious that there is an issue. Ultra obvious that the “speed” is going down tremendously for no apparent reason. And I find it really hurtful, given how easy it is to reproduce the problem, that we end up here on this forum reading that the issue is caused by our own computers, drivers, antivirus and whatnot bullcrap.
When answers on official forums are what I sadly see here : “is your computer good enough ? / up to date ? / did you try to disable your antivirus, firewall, VPN, etc.”, when devs begin to incriminate your computer rather than accepting that their code is faulty or not optimized at all… it’s usually not a good sign. This is a Microsoft specialty on their forum, and I see it’s a convenient excuse used here too. You have a problem with my app ? Well, it has to be you mate, can’t be us, right? So: reinstall your OS, check your drivers, format your hard drive, blahblahblah…

That’s unacceptable.

[Please describe your issue here. Try to include logs (Help → Logging) and add screenshots if necessary.]
Since starting to use Topaz Photo AI my systems data on MacBook Pro has bloated to over 500gb from minimum.

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Step 1
  2. Step 2
  3. Step 3

Topaz Photo AI [v1.x.x] on [Windows/Mac]

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

This is to let everyone know about our latest update to Topaz Photo AI, which resolves the issue you mentioned in this thread

With Topaz Photo AI v3.0.2, the memory leak caused by large exports of RAW images has been fully fixed!

You can use the in-app update option, or you can click on the following link to download the installer:

Let us know how this goes for you, and if you have any feedback or comments, you can always reach out to us here or you can send us an email at help@topazlabs.com.