Badlands Evening Glow

Hello,

This image is from my visit to the Badlands last week (Aug 23, 2017). As always, I started with LR basic adjustments and then launched into photoFX. There I used Adjust and Clarity and BW Effects (for a luminosity mask).

Best regards

13 Likes

Beautiful …

1 Like

Muted beauty and I like it!

1 Like

breathtaking scenery and capture

1 Like

Excellent

1 Like

I agree, I like the treatment applied. Did you add the sky? The reason I’m asking is… the mountain edges against the sky look a little hard edged?

Hi John, thank you.

No, I didn’t add the sky. However, I did use the color sliders in LR to make some color adjustments to the sky. I also didn’t do any masking when I was in Adjust or Clarity which - together with the LR color sliders - added a bit of noise to the sky and probably affected the sharpness of the edges. I’m right at the edge of creating halos too, which also kind of sharpens the mountain edges.

Do you think the color of the sky is OK? And do you think I should do something to soften the boundary between the sky and mountains? My plan is to reprocess this one and mask the sky and possibly make other tweaks.

Best regards

HI Scott, Maybe by just lightening the color of the sky will do the trick. If not, maybe add a mask to the sky or mountains and add a very slight amount of gaussian blur to soften it? The rest of the image is perfect.

1 Like

Thanks John. I’ll work it a bit more using your suggestions, though it’ll be awhile before I can as I just arrived in Colorado for a week of hiking. Rented a cottage a few miles south of Nathrop, CO. A little early for good fall color but a great location for 14ers, lakes and old mines and ghost towns.

Best regards

1 Like