Artifacts appearing in Mask AI saved image that are not seen within the program

I filed a support request for this but wondering if anyone else has had this experience. This is what I wrote in my request:
“I just purchased Mask AI and admittedly started using a challenging image to first work on because I have successfully used ReMask on it in the past when it took me many hours to create a good mask. I was hoping I could do it a lot faster with Mask AI. The image I used has lots of foliage across the top of the image where it meets a featureless overcast sky, which I was replacing with a stormy sky. At a point where I was happy enough with what I was seeing in Mask AI, I saved my results. Oddly, everything that I saved as a composite regardless of format (tiff, jpg and png) and color space (SRGB, ProPhoto) shows countless artifacts around the leaves. I attached a jpg of my original Nikon .nef image. as well as photo proof of the problem. Thanks.”

Thanks for your reply. Here are more details. I have used Mask AI as both standalone and as a plugin in both Lightroom 6.13. My windows and PS CS5.1. I have tried all the refinement tools multiple times. I am running Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), have an old Intel I7-2700K 3.5 Ghz, 8 core processor, 64GB RAM, and a GeForce GTX1660 w/6GB VRAM
Application & Version: Topaz Mask AI Version 1.2.2

Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0)

Graphics Hardware: GeForce GTX 1660/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 441.66

CPU RAM: 32735 MB

Video RAM: 6144 MB

Preview Limit: 7808 Pixels

The artifacts don’t show up inside Mask AI. The image looks clean but after I save it, I see that its loaded with them. The last of the 5 photos shows what it looks like in Mask AI.

The 1st image shows the quick result from Luminar 4 for comparison and has none of these artificats. There’s a lot I don’t like about Luminar and prefer Mask AI if only I can do this attached image.

The 2nd is a jpg of the nef image that was imported in to Mask AI.

The 3rd is what the image looks like in Photoshop.

The 4th is what it looks like in Lightroom

DxDiag.txt (100.8 KB) ![Appearance%20in%20Mask%20AI%20at%20100%25|850x496]

(upload://j6eeWVYsdVHYisz9AR9nSDIGQ10.jpeg)

Obviously as this is a user to user forum so we don’t have any access to your images.

Have you viewed the videos in the blog about using the refinement tools?

Also, i suspect you are talking about halos around the edges but you haven’t described your workflow or even the computer you use.

So for a little more info, please say whether you are using the product as a standalone or plugin and also open Mask AI, go to Help-> Graphics info, press Copy and paste the info here.

Also, using the up arrow, post the jpg of your original image.

Just noticed the exact same problem on my iMac with the latest version of Mask AI. In the app it al looks good and in Affinity Photo I discover all edge problems. Adjusting in the Edge section of the app did not help as well.

That’s very interesting. So, are you saying that you have proof that with the same photo the problem didn’t show up in an earlier release of Mask AI?

Larry

No I was just cutting out a image and couldn’t get rid of the ugly white/grey edges. Usually you could refine the edges in such a way that they are gone, but the preview is lacking accuracy. It looked good in the app, but inAffinity Photo I had to use the background eraser to make it a bit acceptable .

Till now it has not be a any better compare to the old one, but the old one had also plenty of bugs.

By the way I started using Fluid Mask again.

By the way, tech support was able to reproduce my problem when I sent them my original image and gave them the exact steps via screenshots I followed. It’s now in the hands of the developers. I got a refund on my purchase because Sky Replacement was the main use I wanted out of Mask AI.

Also, I found another serious problem when I did a “sky” replacement. It was actually a water replacement where a rowboat was lying at the edge of a bay. The water was featureless and colorless. The water replacement itself worked out fairly well outside of the boat but there were two small areas inside the row boat where water appeared. No matter how many times I used the keep brush over those areas, I couldn’t restore the boat. There was nothing in the image of the boat that I could see which distinguished those areas from the rest of the boat.

1 Like

Yes you get better results with masking in your photo editor!

Luminar 4 can do an amazing job with its AI Sky Replacement with a single click. I say “can” but not always.

Yes I used Luminar but got a refund because the app was so buggy. Now I’m using Capture One and never looked back!

1 Like

Has your artifacts issue been resolved to your satisfaction? I’m experiencing a similar issue in the most recent version of Mask AI, v.1.3.3.

If you’re asking me, the answer is no and I got a refund.