Apparition of bands of different lightning

With the new version of Photo AI (2.4.0) there are occasions of apparition of wide bands and rectangles (several pixels wide) of brighter lightning.
The result is totally not usable.
On previous versions (2.3 and earlier) I’ve never seen this effect on similar images

See on the images above (original image and output image), the rectangles are more obvious on the neck of the chamois.

Alain Lecavelier

Topaz Photo AI v2.4.0 on Windows

Would you mind sending in some more information to get a better understanding of the problem you are having with this particular type of image? Please send the following information:

1. The original image file.
  2. The processed image.
  3. A screenshot or description of the settings panel so I can see what adjustments were turned on.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below.

Dropbox File Request

Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.

Dear John,

Thanks for your concern about the problem raised about the new version 2.4.0 of Topaz Photo AI.

On some of my images of chamois, the “Sharpen” tool makes rectangles of brightening (artifacts of artificially brighter areas with sharp rectangle shapes).

Please find in your Dropbox page two examples of such features.

I uploaded 2 original images and the corresponding 2 processed images after application of the “Sharpen” tool, and a screen shoot that summarize the setting used.

To help you, I tried to figure out in which circumstances the problem appears.
Here is a summary of my findings :

• This is due to the “Sharpen” tool, the “Remove Noise” tool is not the culprit.
  • The problem is there with the same amplitude independently of the Sharpen method and parameters, even at the lowest strength of the sharpen tool, and independently of the “Selection” being “All” or “Subject”.
  • This may be due to the managing of ram memory : on my computer without graphic card but with 16Go RAM (Core i7-10510U CPU), with Topaz Photo AI 2.4.0 the total memory used increases to about 80% and the problem is definitely there. I tested on another computer with 128Go RAM memory and 2 graphic cards with 48Mo VRAM each and it seems that the problem disappeared !!

Hope this help : Topaz Photo AI was a wonderful tool, but a tool must be reliable to be wonderful, which is no more the case with this 2.4.0 version !

Sincerely

Alain Lecavelier

1 Like