Anyone else found this trick to boost details in Iris V1?

So, I use Iris V1 ALOT to restore videos from around the 1990’s to around 2010. I do others, but most are in that time and Iris V1 does a simply amazing job of taking a bunch of garbage and turning it into something that you can actually watch. It is not as good at preserving details as Iris V2 but the crawling that V2 has is insane and makes it unusable for me.

I was experimenting with ways to boost detail that comes from Iris V1 and noticed that Motion Deblur does this really well actually. If you turn down the sharpness a bit and crank the dehalo you can get some nice stuff from it but there are some odd motion artifacts.

THEN I noticed that if I leave frame Interpolation enabled (while disabling motion deblur), but do not change frame rate (I also disable Replace Duplicate Frames), the preview image gets a little sharper and has more detail than before. I have tested it with at least half a dozen files so far and it has this effect each time.

5 Likes

Iris manual or relative to auto?
My initial try did not come out great.

I use manual. I hit the estimate button, then I usually increase improve details to around 60 - 80, depending on what looks best. I used to go all the way to 100 but it makes people’s teeth look crazy. But enabling interpolation seems to boost the details further.

1 Like

What about ‘Recover Details’ at the bottom, do you leave that at 20?

Using manual was better. I’m not sure if this is what I want for my VHS tapes yet, but it does make people look really good so far. Better than everything else I have tried.

I set that to 100.

This is pretty amazing. Personally I think it still creates too much of a ripple effect on things that are supposed to, umm, not ripple. Iris has always done that on everything I try, BUT for VHS, this can get the best results I have seen so far! And well, with the ~60fps of VHS, the rippling is not as much of an issue. Interestingly, running Iris from the interlaced menu does like 2fps, but from the progressive menu does it at like 20. I think it’s because it runs Iris last on progressive, where it does it first on interlaced.

Definitely I recommend everyone give this a try.

1 Like

could you summarize the flow and settings that I/we can give it a go?

Hybrid encoder has a very nice Vapoursynth filter called Lut Decrawl that does a good job calming down the crawling. I usually follow it up with MC Temporal Degrain and it takes care of the crawling from Iris V1.

Good to know. I can try that as well.

sorry for the rookie question, but what is crawling in video means?

In a scene where there is very little to no movement you can see the details all over where spots of colors are shifting repeatedly. You don’t really notice it when there is movement.

1 Like