Anonymous Usage Tracking

I was annoyed to find that the default for Anonymous Usage Tracking is set to on, this is pretty disgraceful behaviour by Topaz Labs, the system never asked for my permission for this.

Can I respectful ask that this is set to disabled by default unless approved by the user during installation.

5 Likes

I still remember that in V1.27, they had the ‘Help Improve Autopilot’ setting enabled by default.

When it was enabled, TPAI sent users’ images to their server automatically without notifying users.

Until some users discovered this and reported it in the forum.
After near a week of discussion, they finally decided to disable the ‘image collection feature.’

That is why every time you update the software, you have to check the preference settings carefully.

2 Likes

I hope TopazLabs are listening it’s an invasion of privacy, especially without any information provided on installation to opt out or to explain what it means to opt in. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I understand that having users give blanket permission to upload content to perfect your software might be good for you and the user base. However, it is an excessive “ask” for bandwidth and for privacy purposes. I DON’T want to be asked multiple times to allow this!

If I legitimately have an issue with the Photo AI performance, I’ll elect to share examples with you where I can manage bandwidth (sometimes I work on cellular connections) and can make a reasonable determination if my privacy and IP is at excessive risk.

A Concerned User.

1 Like

I don’t mind the setting in Preferences but I don’t like having it show up on the Export Settings page and especially suggesting that since I’ve been using Topaz AI for a while maybe I would like to turn it on. This is a bit of an invasion of privacy. Respectfully leave it in the Preferences section where it’s not in your face.

Otherwise, liking this version very much!

Rob

At the moment, anonymous usage tracking is on by default and image sharing is off by default. Usage tracking only collects information about events within the app like which filters are used or if the app crashes. If you’d like to help us improve Autopilot, you can choose to opt-in to share images.

I agree 100%. This was a horrible idea and smacks of various free programs that continually remind you to sign up for various enhancements. And then there is the occasional popup that asks that since your are enjoying the program, how about sending us your images. The company assurance that the images won’t be shared outside of the company is worth the paper it is printed on. Leave the option in preferences and please remove it from the general operation in your next upgrade.

1 Like

Sadly I’m sort of used to this kind of behavior and I found it and disabled upon the first time I launched the app. Still is a bit shady

Yes and what about my copyright. It has happened on other sites where images, got sold to newspapers or magazines, without the photographer’s permission or knowledge. I removed most of my from one site because of this.

I suggest you change that around to tracking off by default.