Adjust Lighting and Balance Color

I would like to have the option to adjust lighting and / or color on either the subject only or background only, rather than across the whole photo.

2 Likes

I agree that content-aware needs to improve. I do a lot of wildlife and birds and it misses the legs and beaks. If my camera can subject select then Topaz can. Regarding the beta testers. Sometimes I find that Topaz does a good job on on color and other times I don’t. The same is true with the beta lighting. Another thing I have noticed is that when I use Photo AI it often doesn’t reduce noise automatically or blur. When I go into the Sharp module it works much better and the content-aware is often more precise. This worries me since I have read Topaz is eliminating the Sharp and Denoise app updates along with the Gigapixel app. One final comment is that I start in Lightroom and then edit in Photoshop using Topaz plug in apps. The Beta color tester removes my masking from Lightroom.

Yeah, I’ve had the same problem…the Adjust Lighting is just so slow that it’s useless for me. Very sad about this.

1 Like

I can’t see why it would be slow unless you don’t meet the minimum technical requirements. They are listed here:

I just tried the AL tool on a mosaic of 6 already wide-field astronomy images. Because of the time required to capture 6 frames (8 minutes each) light pollution can vary from frame to frame creating “seams” in the stitched mosaic (stitched with Photoshop Blend tool). The AL tool set at -10 does a nice job of reducing the light contrasts in the background sky. The slight dimming of the target objects can be easily adjusted using masking and feathering in Photoshop. Very neat … there are other ways of achieving the same result, but this is a neat and handy tool.

I like this feature, but more often than not I can’t use it because I can’t pick just some areas to lighten or darken. The picture I’m including is typical. Dark subject, overly-bright areas in the background. I’d like to lighten one and darken the other, but as-is there’s no way. I’m using version 2.3.1.

2 Likes

Yes, masking to control placement would be a key feature to improving usefulness.

1 Like

It would be useful to the option of curves for colour balance = for example sometimes and birds beak and feet come out plan when they are quite organs or red - so ability to boost in a colour range would help.