Adjust AI giving terrible results

Hi,

No matter when I try it on Mac or Windows, Adjust AI gives mostly over saturated unusable results. Can’t image that anyone is seriously using it. The manual settings don’t do any better too.

Keep on using Adjust Classic, because no updates are coming for the AI version for 6 months!

Regards,

David

1 Like

Try this guy Dave Kelly - excellent insights to Topaz Products

Don’t need a tutorial!
The app is not working proper!
Adjust Classic works perfect!

2 Likes

What you can do is either turn off Auto Adjust AI or use Standard style, the style has a strength adjustment as as well as opacity of any preset effects. BTW the latest version is v1.0.5:

1 Like

Hey David, do you have the auto adjust set to HDR? That will give a lot more saturation. Set to Standard or Off. I’m on a Windows 10 OS and Adjust AI seems to work fine for me.

1 Like

Actually I do use Adjust AI a lot. I’m aware of the over saturation but after processing when I pull it back into Photoshop, since I created a new layer before doing the Adjust AI processing, I just take a few seconds to go to the layers panel and reduce the opacity to 75% and it’s perfect.

That’s a good suggestion, but I think Adjust AI could/should be a bit more conservative. I’d also would like to have accurate film emulation. I find Adjust AI styles pretty much useless in general. I also don’t understand why they dumbed down the Details functionality. The original Topaz Details tonal adjustments and controls, which supposedly were integrated in Topaz Adjust AI were far superior.

Among others, you have an opacity control from 100% all the way down to 0%. So, I’m not clear why you cannot dial the saturation back to where you want it (and save it). This approach works fine for me and I use Adjust-AI frequently so I won’t be taking your advice; thanks.

1 Like

For film emulation I would use DxO Filmpacks. I don’t think film pre-sets are a design target for Adjust-AI.

DxO-FilmPack

And Topaz Detail is still fully functional afaik.

1 Like

This is one of my photos and I show the original and one with Adjust AI v1.0.5 using the standard setting. I think it adjusted it perfectly and I only slightly raised up the sharpening. I don’t see how this is unusable. Note: the bottom was purposely cropped. I have no use for film emulation since I adjust to my liking not to some film look.

3 Likes

Unusable?

2 Likes

@jgr00ms2 Yea, that’s terrible (just kidding). :grinning:

1 Like

I’m not convinced at all and like the original left flower much more only needs a bit of contrast! The Adjust one only boosted some contrast and adjusted some shadow and highlight. The AI Adjust made it awful dark and over saturated. But that’s my personal taste.

Checking your images on a EIZO monitor set full calibrated.

Regards,

David

Then it seems like you are using the wrong tool. I’m not clear on exactly what you expect Adjust-AI to be doing.

@AllMediaLab I think if you were to survey a group of people as to which flower picture they like most, the would pick the one on the right that was adjusted with Adjust AI. I usually boost saturation. However, I agree that this program won’t do a perfect job on every photo and that is why you can manually adjust it. I’m sure you, as well as most of us, use a number of programs for pictures. I use not only Topaz products but Luminar 4, Aurora, and Affinity Photo for photos. I have an ASUS PA monitor calibrated with a Spider 4.

I know How they work my post is about The Old Adjust giving great results and the AI version giving very mixed results. For fun I processed both your original images to show you the difference.

Hope you see what I mean! If not it’s a matter of my personal taste.

adjust-classic-test adjust-AI-test

1 Like

I meanly use Capture One 20 now! Because it gives me excellent images in seconds instead of mixed results in minutes.

1 Like

So use Legacy Adjust then. All the AI apps have more variability than the non-AI apps by their nature. Use the AI app with a few clicks and if it doesn’t give you the results you want then fall back to the Legacy app and tweak to your heart’s desire.

AllMediaLab you’re not alone!! I agree with you.
Long story but I had to buy the Adjust AI after losing my classic Adjust. I’m a photographer taking real estate photos for local agents. And I said to myself if I ever lost the Adjust filter I would be very unhappy! (not those words exactly :wink:
If only Topaz had tutorials on how to use it! That would be helpful.
And I wonder how many people who commented here used the old Adjust classic?
Going through YouTube I found several videos that helped me learn about how to run the program. But I’m not happy with it.
I want my old Topaz Adjust back!!

Hi Suzanne,

You can download the Classic Adjust here:
Old Adjust
And ask for a serial number at support. Because you own the AI one.

Don’t think a tutorial will help much AI is giving to many times mixed results!

Regards,

David