Ability to export masks

Now that PAI masking is getting there, and since Mask AI seems to be a dead product, could we please have the ability to export masks so that they can be used by other programmes.

This is something I am wondering, too. The mask is right there. It would be great to be able to export it. Especially now that production seems to have stopped on Topaz Mask AI.

6 Likes

Came here after Ray mentioned this thread, I’m here to signal boost this idea as a solid feature we should have!

2 Likes

+1
Many thanks

1 Like

Thanks @rayinsanmiguel for the suggestion and everyone for the votes. Could you provide more detail on a specific use case where you might want this functionality? It’ll help me in my discussions with my team.

1 Like

Some time ago, I used Mask AI to replace the background to a shot of myself and a friend. This was a a laborious process, since the masking tools in Mask AI are not very good. With Photo AI, they are getting there, despite the fact that there is no edge aware tool. Of course, other programmes now have background removal built-in, but it could be something that PhotoAI could achieve—if the mask could be exported to, say, On1 PhotoRaw, which is my main editing programme.
Another instance would be to sharpen an out-of-focus foreground, then export the mask in order to be able to blur the background, as per an image I have already uploaded to the devs.

2 Likes

Thanks for elaborating.

Hi, I primarily use mask for background removal, giving the subject a transparent background. I also use it to isolate elements that need additional work (color changes, etc.) These are the reasons I immediately bought Topaz Mask AI when it came out. I am hoping that Photo AI can pick up the baton and run with this idea.

1 Like

Dear @tim.he,

I would like to add my vote to this feature request by @rayinsanmiguel and @comedy4cast.

My use would be - to fine tune all enhancements by photo AI in layers - differentially with masking. E.g. in TPAI I used the mask to differentiate in sharpness - now i’d like to differentiate in color, or tone in Photoshop.

Even better would be if we could also have an import mask option. So we could export the mask, manipulate it outside of TPAI, and then come back to TPAI with the refined mask.

Many thx

Still hoping we can get this on the road map. We can SEE the Photo AI masking abilities. Now, if we could only export the subject mask, that would be a major, major WIN!